- If you had come away with me
- into another state
- we had been quiet together.
- But there the sun coming up
- out of the nothing beyond the lake was
- too low in the sky,
- there was too great a pushing
- against him,
- too much of sumac buds, pink
- in the head
- with the clear gum upon them,
- too many opening hearts of lilac leaves,
- too many, too many swollen
- limp poplar tassels on the
- bare branches!
- It was too strong in the air.
- I had no rest against that
- The pounding of the hoofs on the
- raw sods
- stayed with me half through the night.
- I awoke smiling but tired.
Public domain text taken from The Poets' Corner